{Label Love} Dumpster Design - Suzuki Edition!

Hello dolls and Happy Wednesday! I hope you're having a great week so far! The sun has been shining these past couple of days, it's so glorious to see, long may it continue. I read that it's meant to start staying brighter soon, so let's hope! Today, I'm sharing something really awesome with you. Dumpster Design! Long time readers may remember a post about them sometime ago on the blog, but I just love them!! I'm very much into what 'could be' in fashion rather than 'what is', I love that one thing can be turned into something big with a little imagination and hard work. 
Daisy, the creator of Dumpster Design is a genius and these new pieces she's created for Suzuki are sublime. It's like Transformers meets Couture and I love it so...especially since I'm a massive Transformers fan since a child. These are all one-off commission pieces & I'll admit they look better than a lot that comes down the runway at the moment. It shows that imagination & creativity rather than trends and monotonous repetition wins every time. Below, you'll also find an interview with Daisy too, she's a fantastic gal and it would be just incredible to see her work in the flesh...maybe one day!! I hope you enjoy & wish you a sweet day dolls.

Loves & Loves
xoxoxox



Suzuki Genuine Parts Dress
Watch the making video here




Suzuki Ecstar Oil Dress
watch the making video here





Suzuki GSX-R 30th Anniversary Dress
Watch the making video






Interview with D.D Creator Daisy Harris-Burland

1. For those that are new to your work, how did you decide on creating couture pieces from recycled materials? 
Hahahaha, well it all started because I'm a massive cheap skate to be totally honest. I was 16 and had prom coming up, all my friends parents were buying them £800 dresses, my parents obviously didn't play by those rules, so I ended up making my prom dress out of what I found under the kitchen sink. It had like a bin bag skirt with bubble wrap petticoat and a magazine cardboard corset top. It was all swell until a drink got spilt down me and ended up disintegrating to nothing while I was on the middle of the dance floor (I'm better at making them now…honest haha). Anyway, I loved making it, I loved the talk it created, and I loved that it was wearable art. It caused such a stir that I knew there was a business opportunity there.

2. Do you think they as well as being beautiful, also make a strong statement about the world's problem with 'fast fashion'? 
I guess they do, well yeah, of course they do, they are 100% recycled, completely bespoke, genuine originals. For me they are art. They fact they make a statement against fast fashion is a by-product.

2. When drawing up your ideas, do you start with the materials first or work on the concept first or does it change from design to design? 
No not at all. I never ever draw a design. I have no idea what the end result will look like when I first start. Which means my clients have to have a lot of faith in me haha. But each dress is so dependent on the materials provided.. its all about how they move, and fold or bend.. I work straight onto the mannequin..the shape and silhouette of the dress will start to come together as the build progresses. Once I have an idea of how a material best works then the making process can be very fast in some cases, the materials do the hard work for me!

3. Have you ever gotten any indifferent opinions or misconceptions about the work that you do? 
No not really, people see that they are very intricate and detailed and therefore appreciate the hard work that has gone into each piece. However some people say ‘well that’s not really wearable is it’ and its like, mate, I'm not making a bloody line of fashion for everyday wear, they are bespoke couture, they are as wearable as any Alexander McQueen red carpet gown. You don’t want to spill red wine on that, and you don’t want to spill red wine on one of mine. Simple haha.

4. If you could pick any company/label or person to design a couture piece for who would it be? 
Oh I really don’t know…before Suzuki I would have said a brand like that. Anything to do with cars or bikes or parts, really I'm an 8 year old boy at heart, I love getting greasy and oily and covered in crap that would horrify a Daz spokesperson or any 1950s middle aged housewife. My whites never stay white that’s for sure. But now I've lived the dream and cut up a motorbike, I guess I would have to say any standard mainstream celebrity who’s into wearing something a little different that would get the recognition that Dumpster deserves. I don’t care about being famous or anything, happy to be a Sia in that respect, but the work is bloody good. And I'm bloody proud of it. And it deserves to be seen.

5. You've just collaborated with Suzuki and I read on your blog that there were some mishaps (like cutting off the wrong bit off of a £700 side panel & putting a pillar box drill through your thumb - ouch) Have there been other mishaps like this with other designs? Because for me looking at them as the viewer, I know I would make a huge mess, haha!
Oh absolutely, the amount of times I go ‘shit. Wish I hadn't done/cut/torn that’. But in all fairness, you only know what works by doing it. It’s all trial and error and most of the time I’ll only realise something is really good when I've just torn it in half by accident haha. Injury wise, I've been to A&E more times than I can count due to various incidents. I've super glued my fingers together on countless occasions, seared my sock to my foot with burning hot glue, Poly Filler in eye, gassed myself in my studio with harmful plastic fumes…obviously only realising they were harmful after blacking out. Seriously, endless fun when you work with me. Endless I tell you.

6. Are your creations heavy to wear or does this vary based on materials used?
Yeah they can be heavy, but you’re right, it is so dependent on the materials- one made from old bike parts- heavy. The one made from packaging peanuts- light. Just basic key stage 1 science.  

7. How would like your work to progress, where would you like to be in the future?
As long as I am able to wake up in the morning, go to my studio (sometimes still in pyjamas, don’t judge) and get covered in glue and paper and all things art, then I am happy. The more people who know about it and see it and buy into it the better, but I'm happy as long as I'm making. Like I said before, my only want is for it to be appreciated on a large scale for the recognition it deserves. And it just so happens that the only way to do that is through fashion shows and awards etc. So NY fashion week, come at me bitch, because I will give you something even your grandma will go home talking about. (Do you think NY week has grandmas? Lets say yes in this instance).

8. Do you have a favourite design from your Suzuki collaboration or from previous work that you've done? 
Yes yes yes. The Suzuki ECSTAR dress. The design was inspired by a Japanese samurai warrior created from this years Suzuki GP superbike. Is it the bikes or the hairy biker men I love? I’ll leave you to ponder that one.

Thanks to Daisy for the interview, if you wish for more information, please check the website or contact: pr@dumpsterdesign.co.uk Please do not use/alter any of these photos without permission. 


50 comments

  1. very interesting interview...I love how creative she is and it is great she regards her dresses as wearable art because that is what they really are. I'm not suprised that she doesn't draw them first but makes them up as she goes...because with this kind of materials (recyled ones) it is all about adapting. I make necklaces from recyled materials often and I never sketch them (as much as I love sketching and illustrating here it is simply not done).

    Great interview dear, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Kizzy! Oh wow, she is so creative and great, her works are so impressive and striking, really cool! Hope the sun will keep to shine from ur side, enjoy your day! Many hugs and kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Spain: fabulous designs. Nice photos. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just YES - they all look amazing - like super heroes!
    Edita
    www.pret-a-reporter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, these impossible dresses are amazing! :O

    .Estelle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a talented lady. So original ... fierce! M x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous inspiration, my dear friend
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool and creative! Fashion is art and one should have fun with it!

    xoxo,
    little luxury list formerly Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic interview! These designs are so edgy and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello doll aswell. Nice dresses and styling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've also been a Transformers fan since I was a child. Loving these transformers meets couture designs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, really awesome! Thank you for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful interview Kizzy. Her creations are so creative, original and futuristic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those designs are really f*cking amazing. I love when designers use unconventional materials. Rad!

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful creations. What an amazing human being. I love her work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't say I've ever seen anything like this before - I love when people come up with something entirely innovative and interesting like this!!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a talent! Her works are one of a kind. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. such interesting costumes
    keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
    www.indianbeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. So creative and talent!
    Love the interview!
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello honey, that sublime and absolutely awesome!!
    tons ok kisses
    paolasophia.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cool these outfits!!
    xxx
    www.travelera.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again! new post on my blog :)
      Have a lovely week dear
      xxx
      www.travelera.es

      Delete
  22. What an amazing collection. Also can't believe her prom dress was made out of things under the kitchen sink, haha!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great interview! unique designs!
    www.effortlesslady.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting interview!


    S.
    http://subhamrai.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are spectacular. Thanks for sharing doll. I remember in design school we had to make a garment our of discarded pieces of other rubbish. I love how these are totally wearable.
    Beauty Talk

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow!! So original creations!!! Kisses from Italy and thank you for stopping at my blog,
    Eni

    Eniwhere Fashion
    Eniwhere Fashion Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  27. These costumes made with pieces of motorcycles are amazing, really strong! Then I'm the daughter of a biker, I think if my dad saw me dressed like that!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are such awesome designs that they don't look like they came from the dumps at all. Kinda look like superheroes!

    Jo
    Jo's Jumbled Jardinière

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, these creations are sick! In a good way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such super creative outfits! SOOOOOOO amazing! SOOOO COOL! SO inspiring! LOVE all of them!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such amazing pieces! Loved the interview from beginning till the end. I love how she went for something she loved, and made it her life's work.

    xo,
    Tania
    http://inspiremyfancy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are really beautiful designs. It's amazing that these costumes made with pieces of motorcycles <3
    http://www.rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow this is so unique and creative, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  34. gosh , this is insanely lovely.
    New Post on my blog, do drop by soon ,<3
    ✿thefashionflite
    ✿twitter
    ✿Bloglovin
    ✿FaceBook

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stunning pieces - I love that they really have the fun factor!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi doll! I am impressive with this designs, definitely this girl have much talent and good ideas, nice and interesting interview too, Thanks for share!

    www.urbanikamoda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. They look awesome, you have to be so creative and talented to make something great like those. Tnx for sharing Kizzy... what would we do without you :) :*

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hahah these are so fun and creative
    xx
    www.junewantistall.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful designs; very awesome creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing and fun :) Hope you are well sweets xxx

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my dreams, my thoughts & creations, stay a while & forget the world! Leave me a tale, a vision or two!! Thank you for your words, they leave glitter & stardust on my heart...

Keep in Touch:

| Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin | Tumblr |




Professional Blog Designs by pipdig